This course is intended for all medical personnel involved in antenatal care and is not confined to those performing the 11-13+6 weeks scan - it is also meant for those physicians who do not themselves scan but supervise credentialed sonographers and/or interpret the first trimester screening exam. Physicians who do not themselves scan but wish to be recognized as qualified supervisors of credentialed sonographers may apply for an FMF Supervisor's ID number upon completing the theory course, by e-mailing Naomi Greene at NaomiHG@fetalmedicine.com. Their names will then be placed on our weblist of Supervisory Physicians and their Supervisor's ID number may be placed on lab forms in the space provided for Supervisor's ID and must be accompanied by the credentialed sonographer's ID number. There is no charge whatsoever for becoming a Supervisor. The course content is supported by a book which can be viewed or downloaded at no charge from our website www.fetalmedicineusa.com. The complete text of this book can also be viewed by clicking here.
The course will cover the following topics:
- FMF guidelines on the measurement of NT and assessment of NB, TF, DV, and FMFA
- Principles of screening
- NT and chromosomal defects
- Amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling
- Increased NT with normal karyotype
- Pathophysiology of NT
- Diagnosis of fetal abnormalities at the 11-13+6 weeks scan
- Determination of chorionicity and diagnosis and management of multiple pregnancy at the 11-13+6 weeks scan
At the end of the course there is a multiple choice questionnaire which aims to test that the doctor/sonographer has understood the concepts of the course.